Sunday, May 22, 2016

Announcing Uncanny X-Week!


Hi everyone,

I've been reading comic books (in one form or another) for as long as I can remember.  I was given my first comics sometime in the early 1970s.

1980 Marvel house ad.

But I didn't start seriously collecting comics until 1980.  The first series I bought on a regular basis was Amazing Spider-Man. Shortly after that, a friend and I picked up X-Men #132. I didn't understand a lot of what was happening, but I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm and Colossus.


What a great time to discover the X-Men! The Dark Phoenix Saga was about to begin. Chris Claremont, John Byrne, and Terry Austin were the creative team. When Jean Grey sacrificed herself for the sake of the universe, I was shocked.


Kitty Pryde joined the team shortly after that. The year ended with the now-famous "Days Of Future Past" two-parter. I didn't realize it 35 years ago, but I discovered the X-Men just in time to witness comic book history. 


So far, I have only reviewed a handful of Bronze Age reprint books that feature the X-Men. That's going to change very soon. Over the next week, in celebration of the release of  the movie X-Men: Apocalypse, I'll be reviewing classic 1970s and 80s stories that feature Westchester County's most prominent mutant superheroes!


Here are links to the few X-books I've already covered on this blog:

Wolverine

Kitty Pryde and Wolverine

Wolverine:First Cuts

X-Men:Days Of Future Past

Credit where its due department:
This upcoming series of reviews was inspired by one of my favorite podcasts, Jay & Miles X-Plain The X-Men. I've been listening to it religiously ever since I discovered it last year and I highly recommend it to any comic book fans. Their podcast reminded me that the X-Men were an important part of my youth. And I owe Miles and Jay a big "thank you" for reminding me that early adventures of the "New" X-Men featured a "malicious" narrator.


Don't be surprised if the reprint books reviewed here over the next week feature appearances of the malicious narrator!

So, check back tomorrow for day one of X-Week!

J.A.

No comments :

Post a Comment